Frequently Asked Questions

We've gathered the answers to some of our frequently asked questions to help provide the campus community with more information about the services Facilities Management offers and the procedures involved.  If you have any additional questions, please contact us.

Additional information regarding Environmental, Health, and Safety (ENHS) and the Office for Sustainability can be found on their websites.

Facilities Management (FAMA) provides a multitude of services including general maintenance, building services (custodial), outdoor space reservations and event equipment rentals and setup, recycling, skilled trades services including electrical, carpentry, labor, plumbing, and paint. We also oversee construction provided by large contractors, job order contracts (JOCs), and much more. 

Education and General Purpose (E&G) clients experiencing general maintenance issues such as broken lights, leaks, or safety/life hazards will typically not require department funding.

For E&G and auxiliary clients if you would like to change or add something to your space that is not broken or does not present a life/safety hazard, it will generally require department funding.  Examples might include new carpet, repainting, adding outlets or fiber drops, or renovations to support new faculty or staff.   

There are multiple ways of determining the cost of a project depending on the project and where it is in the process. 

Many Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) estimates are based on historical information from similar projects.  As design progresses and the project becomes better defined, the estimate may be refined.  Once it is ready for construction, if it is an in-house project by the shops, they will provide a Not To Exceed estimate of project cost and the client only pays the actual cost.  Additional funds are returned at the completion of the project.  If the actual cost goes over the estimate for reason, FAMA covers the difference. 

If a project is executed by a general contractor, it is competitively bid to subcontractors specializing in individual facets of the work.  The overall budget is developed based on those bids and includes all project costs including design, a 1.25% construction management fee, contingency and any other costs relevant to providing a complete project ready for occupancy.

Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems are set to fall within two seasonal ranges:

  • Summer: 71-75F 
  • Winter: 68-72F

Building occupants can adjust their thermostats to fall within these ranges. A typical thermostat will have three modes of operation:

  • Occupied - Facility is open and a space is normally occupied. Thermostat maintains within +-1 degree of the set point.

  • Standby - Normal occupied hours, the facility is open, but any single space or zone of control is not occupied based on an occupancy sensor. Thermostat maintains within +-3 degrees of the set point.

  • Unoccupied - Facility is closed or at times when no occupant would normally be in the space. Thermostat maintains within +-6 degrees of the set point.

For special events outside of normal business hours, a written request for a change must be forwarded to Facilities Management HVAC Scheduling at least three working days prior to the scheduled event.

Those wishing to request an outdoor space for events should view our Outdoor Reservations page for information on how to request a space and relevant policies.

Event equipment rental requests should be directed to our Special Events Setups team

 For information about the status of a submitted maintenance request, contact our Service Center at 575-5050. 

Emergency calls are those that are significantly disruptive or those that would result in considerable damage if left unchecked. Examples include flooding, power outages, or substantial leaks. 

Emergency after hour calls should be directed to UAPD dispatch at 479-575-2222.

For information regarding ongoing campus projects, visit our projects page or contact our Communications Coordinator, Breanna Lacy (575-6044) or Dan Clairmont (575-6192).

A project request form should be submitted when a campus customer is interested in beginning a renovation, new space or a modification of space, or pricing a potential project.

General maintenance requests should be directed to the Service Center.